[89670] trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/github-1.0.tcl

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Mon Feb 6 12:28:52 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 19:46, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> I do want to find a way to support "downloads" in addition to "tags", however this change breaks github portgroup ports that do not set a tag_prefix, and not setting tag_prefix is the most common way to use the github portgroup, so this change breaks most github portgroup ports. Take for example coffee-script. Its github.setup line is:

But assuming that a tag is the same of a version isn't correct,
although it's a common habit.
Just adding the v when necessary, like I see many portfiles do, isn't
correct either. what if I need to download foo-1.2 from a tag named
"bar"?

Github is offering two kind of package download, and IMHO the github
portgroup should support both.

What I can suggest now is to add a flag to explicitly set the kind of
github tarball download, for example github.tarball_type or
github.tarball_from with values "tags" and "downloads".
Setting the default value to tags would make current port work and
leave the ability to choose to port authors.

Does this sound more reasonable to you?

--
Andrea