Deactivate and unload

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 10 12:33:24 PST 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 13:29, Andrea D'Amore wrote:

> I deactivated virtualbox port before installing binary version and
> noticed that kext were already loaded.
>
> Is there a case in which an user would prefer to have a program
> removed (deactivated in my case) but its daemon or agent still
> running?

When "port load" and "port unload" were implemented, I figured we would probably want to integrate those into (i.e. call those from) "port activate" and "port deactivate" respectively.

It is possible that someone might want to 1) have mysqld running; 2) upgrade the mysql port; 3) later, stop and restart mysqld to get it using the new version. But I'm not sure if that's really something people do or whether we need to accommodate that usage.