multiple perl versions

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Wed Feb 15 13:21:12 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 02:29:59PM -0800, Dan Ports wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 02:41:57PM -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> > +1 from me. It would probably also be a good idea to make it perl5.14 +threads (and if a non-threaded perl is needed, it should probably be a separate port) at the same time.
>
> Good point about: +threads. As Eric Cronin pointed out yesterday in
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33105#comment:5
> because the modules are installed in a different place for perl5
> +threads, any perl modules installed using binary packages won't work
> correctly if perl is built with +threads.
>
> That seems like a fairly serious problem. If we're OK with only
> providing perl +threads, we wouldn't have to worry about it.
>
> (I don't know enough about perl to know if there's anything that needs
> a non-threaded perl -- I got the impression that it was important in
> the past but is rarely if ever needed these days.)

	There are valid reasons to have multiple versions of perl
installed at the same time - the least of which is testing new
versions to make sure they work while still being able to build
and run things against older versions.

	So far as +threads being the default, that doesn't matter so
much to me, but I do want -threads available for anyone who wants
their perl to not have threads support (I recall something needed
a non-threaded perl, but that was awhile ago).

		-eric