XCode 4.3

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu Feb 16 11:10:31 PST 2012

Hi,

As many of you may have noticed, XCode 4.3 was released today.  The installation of XCode 4.3 is a bit different than previous releases and will require some updates to the macports installation wiki.

1) For starters, XCode 4.3 is self contained in an app bundle.  You no longer need to go through an installer.  Just grab it from the App Store.

2) After it finishes downloading, make sure you open XCode.app before "jumping in" ... this will allow you to agree to the Terms Of Service to avoid errors if you try building a port that uses xcodebuild.

3) Since XCode is now an app, you no longer have the "UNIX Development" (or similar, I can never remember the exact naming) installed to / by the installer.  If you goto XCode's preferences, you will see a "Downloads" tab.  You should see it now listed in there as an optional download.  Also, I think XCode will notify you on launch if it sees an older toolchain installed to /, so you were probably be told about this when you did step 2 anyways.

4) Go about using MacPorts as normal ...

5) Report any bugs (including corrections to these instructions) that you find ...

--Jeremy