multiple perl versions

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Thu Feb 16 15:07:51 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
> On 2012-2-16 11:26 , Dan Ports wrote:
>> In fact, what we have now may be the worst possible world: we claim to
>> support multiple perl versions, and ports have to go to some effort to
>> specify which version they depend on, but it doesn't even work -- the
>> p5.x- perl module ports conflict with each other!
>
> Certainly not the worst possible. What we had before, when you could
> install p5 ports for any perl version but couldn't easily tell which
> version they were installed for afterwards, was worse.

I theoretically support multiple perl versions and features on cygwin
but haven't provided versioned or featured packages yet. The build
scripts provide support though.
With cPanel we build versioned perl rpms, but forbid CPAN for other reasons.

My rationale would go like this:

mandir:
1. newest only:
some logic has to be added to change installman[13]dir=none for older perls in
the post-installer. and remove them.
2. multi:
manpages of the newest perl version go into installman[13]dir
of older versions into some /opt/perl5$version,
3. dynamically:
let EUMM check the installman[13]dir dynamically.
set original or override with /opt/ or none if we are not the newest.

scriptbin is versioned.
activated version symlinks to current scriptbin.

+threads and +debug are fine if seperated in the archname and therefore all
arch-dependent dirs.
-debug is not yet supported upstream. I set the archname manually.
--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/