XCode 4.3

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu Feb 16 23:45:29 PST 2012

On Feb 16, 2012, at 9:05 PM, Jeremy Lavergne <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:

>> 2) After it finishes downloading, make sure you open XCode.app before "jumping in" ... this will allow you to agree to the Terms Of Service to avoid errors if you try building a port that uses xcodebuild.
>
> Do you know if there's something we can run to test if the ToS has already been accepted? It'd be unfortunate if xcodebuild didn't error out in a way that would alert people that they have to run a GUI app to launch a CLI tool.

Yeah.  If you just run 'xcodebuild' at the terminal, it should present you with the ToS (in your favorite $PAGER) if you haven't already accepted.  It'll then try to do a build and error out saying "xcodebuild: error: The directory ... does not contain an Xcode project." but you didn't really want to build anyways.  'xcodebuild --version' might trigger the ToS if you want a safer way, but I haven't tried that.

Also, another thing to note is that the command line tools + SDK are available as a separate download.  If you don't need any parts of XCode itself, you can probably get by with just installing these bits, but I wouldn't recommend it for the casual MP user since many pieces of MacPorts assume you have a /Developer dir somewhere and quite a bit of logic is based on determining which version of XCode is installed.