XCode 4.3

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Fri Feb 17 07:20:50 PST 2012

> As expected, a great number of ports don't actually need Xcode to build. Do you think it'd be worthwhile indicating that people can get by with just the command line tools until they see an xcodebuild error message?

Specifically, this is the error a user who installed only the Command Line Tools (not Xcode) will see:

--->  Extracting zlib
Error: Couldn't determine your Xcode version (from '/usr/bin/xcodebuild -version').
Error:
Error: If you have not installed Xcode, install it now; see:
Error: http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.xcode.html
Error:
Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: unable to find Xcode
Error: Failed to install zlib

I guess my suggestion is a bad one since zlib is rather important :-)