Hosting and reviving the Porticus source code

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Feb 18 10:39:25 PST 2012

On 2012-02-14 20:36 , Guido wrote:
> On my request, Richard Laing has made available the source code of
> Porticus on his blog: <http://alittledrop.com/blog/?p=49#comments
> (<http://porticus.alittledrop.com/downloads/Porticus.zip>).
>
> The code is very well commented and it shouldn't be too difficult to
> update it for supporting Lion and MacPorts 2.0, which are not
> officially supported.

If I am not mistaken, Porticus worked by screen-scraping the output out
of the port utility. I don't think this approach is feasible.

> If there is some interest in hosting and reviving the code of Porticus
> here on MacOSForge, I could actively participate.

We have the MacPorts.app GUI (also known as Pallet), where most of the
work was done in previous editions of Google Summer of Code. Beside
that, it has not seen many contributions and it might already got some
incompatibilities with the Cocoa API as of OS X 10.7.

It uses the MacPorts.framework, which is meant as an Objective-C
interface to the macports Tcl package. The MacPorts internal API isn't
stable and some changes have been introduced in the port cli client
which are missing from this framework.

See the wiki for more information:

  https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MacPortsFramework
  https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MacPortsGUI