[90075] trunk/base/src/macports1.0/macports.tcl

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Fri Feb 24 15:48:24 PST 2012

On Feb 24, 2012, at 15:08, James Berry wrote:

> I mean, what are they protecting by making you accept a license agreement to run xcodebuild from the command line? What are they protecting that you don't already agree to when you download Xcode,

You didn't agree to anything when you downloaded XCode (accept maybe the App Store TOS).

> or join the developer program,

You don't need to join the developer program to run XCode

> or run any number of other command line tools?

They're making you accept the XCode EULA.  In the past, you used to accept this when you ran the XCode installer package.  Now that XCode.app is just copied, they needed a new way of showing you the EULA, so it's done on first launch of XCode (or any of the XCode command line tools that are covered by it).  Yes, the '$PAGER /path/to/License.txt' approach is not as pretty as the AppKit version, but you're running a command line tool, so you're already opting in to that "way" of doing things.

> Frankly, I don't know, because like 99% of users I haven't read the agreement, even though I've accepted it, a fact that makes click-through licenses like this hard to enforce in court.

IANAL, so /shrug.