subports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 3 21:11:23 PST 2012

On Jan 3, 2012, at 23:02, Mark Brethen wrote:

> Instead of using subports, what if I override the configure phase?
>
> configure {
>    system "cd ${worksrcpath} ; ./configure --prefix=${prefix} --with-csl ; ./configure --with-psl"
> }
>
> Would this work?
>
> Then in the build phase it should make both types lisp systems. Correct?

Most configure scripts don't work like that; as Jeremy said the second configure would overwrite the results of the first one. But I don't know how reduce's configure script works. Feel free to try it, if you believe users will generally want both types of lisp available at once. If instead you believe users will commonly choose one lisp system or the other, then subports would make sense.

Also, recall we have a license issue. It's more confusing to list multiple licenses on a single port. It's simpler to say this (sub)port has this license, this other (sub)port has this other license. That also makes it easier for our builtbot to decide whether we are allowed to distribute a binary package of the result.