Reduce Developer

Mark Brethen mark.brethen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:02:41 PST 2012

The developer of reduce has checked in a new set of configure files. When configure is invoked with CC or CXX set (to values other than gcc and g++) then it skips the Mac code that uses gcc explicitly and tries to identity which SDK is available.

He also has some insight into how it might be used:

> As regards this I might note that the CSL and PSL variants of Reduce are
> for almost all purposes ALTERNATIVES rather than being things where
> installing one should automatically install the other. I guess there are
> three sorts of people in the world:
> (1) Developers who are not just keen on getting their Reduce package in
> good condition, but who wish to be properly careful that the code involved
> is compatible with both the CSL and the PSL-supported variants. Of all the
> people who download and install Reduce I believe these count as a tiny
> minority.
> (2) General users. They only need EITHER the PSL or the CSL based version
> of Reduce. Installing both just clutters up their disc space, makes the
> installation process slower and in general causes confusion! There is of
> course a potential uncertainty as to which to choose, but even if theyu
> install both to start with after a while tidiness will cause them to
> de-install the one that does not suit them.
> (3) Extreme users. Some (but ony a VERY FEW) users will be trying
> calculations so large that they fail on one or other version. Or they may
> trigger a bug in one or other version, or performance may differ enough to
> be critical. These people may want both versions installed so thay can
> switch between them as thay hit issues. Again I believe these are a tiny
> (but obviosuly important) minority.

The reduce portfile now uses subport=reduce-with-csl and subport=reduce-with-psl (reduce becomes a stub-port that does nothing). The html reference material is compiled and linked with csl. A variant to compile the pdf version is available to both csl and psl users.

Issuing 'sudo port destroot reduce subport=reduce-with-csl' resulted in a build error:

:debug:build build phase started at Tue Jan 10 12:41:16 CST 2012
:notice:build --->  Building reduce-with-csl
:debug:build Executing org.macports.build (reduce-with-csl)
:debug:build port disallows a parallel build
:debug:build Environment: CPATH='/opt/local/include' CC_PRINT_OPTIONS_FILE='/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_marbre_ports_math_reduce/reduce-with-csl/work/.CC_PRINT_OPTIONS' LIBRARY_PATH='/opt/local/lib' CC_PRINT_OPTIONS='YES' MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET='10.7'
:debug:build Assembled command: 'cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_marbre_ports_math_reduce/reduce-with-csl/work/trunk" && /usr/bin/make -w all'
:debug:build Executing command line:  cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_marbre_ports_math_reduce/reduce-with-csl/work/trunk" && /usr/bin/make -w all
:info:build make: Entering directory `/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_marbre_ports_math_reduce/reduce-with-csl/work/trunk'
:info:build /bin/sh scripts/make.sh -w  all
:info:build Current machine tag is x86_64-mac_10.7_lion-darwin11.2.0
:info:build host=x86_64-mac_10.7_lion-darwin11.2.0 os=mac_10.7_lion
:info:build About to build in cslbuild/x86_64-mac_10.7_lion-darwin11.2.0
:info:build make -w all MYFLAGS= -w all --no-print-directory
:info:build echo Build FOX: make mflags=- --no-print-directory myflags=-w all install
:info:build Build FOX: make mflags=- --no-print-directory myflags=-w all install
:info:build make[2]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
:info:build make[1]: *** [include/fox-1.6/fxver.h] Error 2
:info:build make: *** [all] Error 2
:info:build make: Leaving directory `/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_marbre_ports_math_reduce/reduce-with-csl/work/trunk'
:info:build shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_marbre_ports_math_reduce/reduce-with-csl/work/trunk" && /usr/bin/make -w all " returned error 2

As this is now beyond my capability to diagnose and fix, he has agreed to try running the portfile and see its behavior directly and find out what is going on. He has a Mac with 10.7 on it, and I'm helping to get macports installed.

Would there be someone he could contact with questions? As a middle-man, I probably will not be much help when it comes to tailoring the code to work with macports.