RFC: changing default perl to perl5.14

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Mon Jan 16 15:42:39 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 07:35:10PM +0000, Eric Hall wrote:
> 	I think it's high (well past, very much so, etc.) time
> to move perl5 to perl5.14.  If anyone has a reason *not* to
> do so, please let me know by the end of this week (20Jan2012).

I certainly don't object to the idea, but I'm wondering about the
practical aspects...

My experience with trying to install multiple or non-default perl
versions hasn't gone well, and I imagine we could easily see
some of the same problems here.

It seems like if we change the default perl version, users are likely
to wind up with a mix of perl 5.12 and 5.14 modules installed -- both
from the modules they had installed before, and because there are
plenty of ports that depend on perl 5.12 specifically. If so, we're in
trouble, because most p5.12-* ports conflict with their p5.14-*
counterparts.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/