RFC: changing default perl to perl5.14

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Mon Jan 16 17:36:26 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 06:48:36PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2012, at 17:42, Dan Ports wrote:
> > If so, we're in
> > trouble, because most p5.12-* ports conflict with their p5.14-*
> > counterparts.
>

> They should not conflict. That's the whole reason they're subports. Which ones have you found that conflict? We need to fix them. File bug reports.

They shouldn't, but nearly every one of them does (try it...)

The main problem is that they try to install manpages into the same
location:

Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/share/man/man3/MIME::Base64.3pm.gz is being used by the active p5.12-mime-base64 port. Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate p5.14-mime-base64' to force the activation.
Error: Failed to install p5.14-mime-base64

Just about every perl port runs into this one. We probably want to have
them either install manpages into separate directories or include a
version in the name. (I think the former is better if we can get the
manpath set up correctly, but I haven't thought too hard about it.)

A second problem is that some perl ports install binaries into
$prefix/bin, e.g. both p5.12- and p5.14-libwww-perl will try to install
/opt/local/bin/lwp-download. This isn't as common as the manpage
problem, but it still affects a decent number of ports.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/