[89180] trunk/base/src/port/port-help.tcl

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Tue Jan 24 11:14:43 PST 2012

>> I'm also not clear on what the use case is for rev-upgrade. Are we
>> trying to catch cases where maintainers forget to increase the
>> revision of ports to force a rebuild, or are we trying to phase out
>> the practice of manually bumping the revisions for this case?
>
> The latter, I'd say. This is currently not really possible in
> combination with the buildbot (since the buildbot requires the revbump
> anyway), but highly desirable in the long run, since
> 1. rev-upgrade doesn't forget to revbump
> 2. rev-upgrade also catches cases where a maintainer forgot to add a
>    dependency

I'd say the purpose is two fold: both developers can use it to properly maintain their packages and users are protected against such oversights.

If we automate the usage of rev-upgrade on the buildbot then we can avoid having it enabled by default for end users, since maintainers will be alerted that rev-upgrade found things. Until we get that done, it's beneficial to keep rev-upgrade enabled to force a source rebuild on end user machines when something is wrong with the libraries.