boost port file does not properly include isysroot

James Gregurich bayoubengal at mac.com
Mon Jan 30 14:30:29 PST 2012

As you will recall from a year ago, I've already done that.

I gave you guys a complete working prototype that had support for clang, customization of  universal binary architectures, and the comprehensive ability to target different SDKs. I had 5 or 6 ports (including complex ones such as boost) building simultaneously for MacOSX and iOS as universal binaries on both.

only one person ever cared enough to look at it.

So, you are giving this lecture to the wrong guy. I voluntarily donated multiple weeks of expensive engineering time to macports to make it suitable for commercial developers on MacOSX and iOS.   I got NOTHING for that work….not even a "thanks for your efforts, but we really aren't interested."

 The time I spent learning and modifying the internals of mac ports showed me that there was no TECHNICAL reason why macports couldn't support the necessary options to handle commercial development. In fact, most of the work was already done…it was just incomplete. The reasons why the work is incomplete has to do with the attitudes and interests of the maintainers.  that's fine. You guys have every right to be disinterested in commercial developers if you choose.  But, I will say this…the majority of the developer action on Apple platforms is in commercial development….not unix nerds tinkering with KDE builds or server farm maintainers with fixed installations that rarely change. So, if you want your work actually used en masse, then perhaps commercial developers should be a more important audience.

As for me personally, after I have seen that you guys simply aren't interested in commercial development, I'm making my plans to ditch mac ports in my work flow at some convenient time. I've been doing what I can to lobby Apple to create an official, properly maintained ports collection. I have no idea if Apple has any interest in that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Finally, I didn't write in to "complain." I wrote in AS A COURTESY to tell you that the next Xcode beta breaks some of your code and tell you exactly what needed to be fixed. If you don't care, that's fine with me. I can hack my personal install to make it work for me in the short term to get what I need done for now. At least I can get some good out of all that time I spent working on macports.