boost port file does not properly include isysroot

James Gregurich bayoubengal at mac.com
Mon Jan 30 16:18:47 PST 2012

On Jan 30, 2012, at 3:23 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>  Of course, that goes for anyone: as you said developer time is expensive, but if your company felt MacPorts was important and wanted to pay you to work with us to improve it, they could do that.

I did. I think macports is a beautiful solution to managing dependencies on 3rd party, opensource libraries. That is why I spent weeks learning TCL and the inner workings of macports and did the development effort.

> I do remember your iOS/cross-compiling submissions now. I apologize that I was not able to review them. As I recall, you only provided links to archives on your Mobile Me web space, and by the time I got around to reading your emails, the files were no longer there. Change requests should usually be submitted as tickets in the issue tracker, with an attached diff, that way they won't get lost. Smaller more focused diffs are easier to review and thus more likely to get accepted than huge diffs that change things all over the code base.

yea. The link timed-out eventually. Could you have sent me an email with a request for a new link?

Why does one need an issue ticket to review a proof-of-concept and give feedback? Honestly, the effort was not at the stage where it should have been a full-blown feature request. The point was to see #1…is the desired result possible and #2…was it feasible from a usability standpoint. As you will recall, I had multiple people telling me that it would be a major hassle and not worth the effort…and would likely never work correctly anyway. I was confident that I proved that it was possible and was feasible. I wanted confirmation of that before I did any more work on it. I never got that. Really and truly, this work should have been the basis of a spec document to formalize the final design and make sure all the basis were covered.

BTW: This was not an effort that could be a "focused diff" by its nature. The architecture of the system was basically in place, but it had to be extended in various places to add the needed abstraction and flexibility.