[95840] trunk/dports/python/py27-wxpython-devel/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 24 09:36:58 PDT 2012

On Jul 24, 2012, at 11:34, Wahlstedt Jyrki wrote:

> On 24.7.2012, at 19.30, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> The license field can contain multiple licenses, separated by spaces, just like our other fields (depends_lib, maintainers, categories, etc.)
>>
>> This means each license listed should not itself contain spaces.
>>
>> This file lists some of the licenses we've used in other ports:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/portmgr/jobs/port_binary_distributable.tcl
>>
>> The version number of the license can be joined to the end of the license name with a dash.
>>
>> So "wxwidgets-3.1" would probably be a good choice in this case. That's the license wxwidgets-devel uses.
>>

> Ok,
> I'll change that… Would there be any idea in doing a man page for those, I read these often?!?

The guide already documents the proper format of the license field, but I think the only place we document actual license names is the above script, so you're right that doesn't really constitute documentation. While we probably can't manage to document each and every license that currently exists or will ever exist, it would probably be a good idea to expand the guide documentation with a list of commonly-used license names, and also an explanation of why we need to know the license name, and an explanation that some licenses conflict with one another (and give some examples of that).