New AquaTerm & gnuplot patches

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 15:30:26 PDT 2012

Hello,

AquaTerm has moved to GitHub and new version has been released. I
attached the revised Portfile here:
    http://trac.macports.org/ticket/34346

However, it would be very helpful to patch gnuplot before upgrading
AquaTerm. I uploaded this patch about three months ago (today I only
refreshed it to reflect the latest change in gnuplot) and I would be
really grateful for any kind of feedback:
    http://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/34423/gnuplot-use-aqt-framework-extra-option.patch

The patch is needed in order to be able to get rid of
libaquaterm.dylib & header files (replaced by AquaTerm.framework)

I'm the maintainer of gnuplot port (without commit rights) and from my
perspective I consider the patch ready to be committed (there is no
need for rebuild gnuplot since gnuplot already links against
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/AquaTerm.framework/Versions/A/AquaTerm),
so if any developer with commit rights is comfortable with the patch,
I would like to request commiting it.

------

The new version of AquaTerm might be interested for the following reasons:
- support for transparency
- universal binaries (like running i386 gnuplot with x86_64 AquaTerm)
don't have problems any more
- in 1.1.0 (which never made it into MacPorts) the first plot
following "set term aqua size x,y" would be typeset with transparent
(=invisible) labels and sometimes plot wouldn't be cleared
- no need to patch xcodeproject

In addition to that, I added a trivial patch which now tries to start
/Applications/MacPorts/AquaTerm.app instead of
/Applications/AquaTerm.app. The second one breaks functionality in
case that a different version of AquaTerm is installed in
/Applications.

On the other hand it might not work on 10.4, but I'm not exactly sure
about that. There is no reason why it wouldn't work (there are no
Lion-specific functions in there :) except that it was way too painful
to set up the old XCode to compile fat binaries including x86_64 that
would also work on Tiger.

Thank you,
    Mojca