qt4-mac and qt4-mac-devel

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Jun 17 13:05:25 PDT 2012

At 3:17 PM -0400 6/17/12, Michael Dickens wrote:
>On Jun 17, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>  From the Qt4-mac portfile, it appears that OS X 10.4 through 10.7
>>are supported on the various combinations of PPC, i386, x86_64 in
>>32 and 64 bit modes, as appropriate.  (So the minimum would be PPC
>>32 bit if anyone was patient enough to build there?)
>
>Yes, at least in theory.  The oldest I know of currently is 10.5 PPC
>32-bit.  There is legacy code in the Portfile that might allow it to
>work with 10.4, but I do not have a way to test this and also have heard
>nothing from that group of users (assuming there are any out there) as
>to whether this updated port works for them.
>
>I do know that 10.5 PPC 32-bit takes "a day" to compile.  On my 2.6 GHz
>Core-2 64-bit, and no special variants, I can get the compile time down
>to "only" 1.5 hours.  The compile is highly parallelizable, so in theory
>an 8-core modern Intel processor could do this compile in maybe 30-45
>minute.  Compile time doubles with +debug, and also with +universal --
>so a +debug+universal will take my computer around 7 hours.
>
>>  Are there any major gotchas with, say 10.5 on 32 bit Intel?
>
>We fixed a bug last week that seems to allow qt4-mac 4.8.2 to work on
>32-bit Intel and PPC under 10.5 (and, newer, for x86).  As far as I
>know, this latest Qt works just fine on 10.5 PPC or x86 32-bit.  I've
>tested this release on 64-bit Intel 10.6 and 10.7.  I'm in the process
>of fixing an issue with ccache, but that won't effect Qt runtime.
>
>>  Is there any word on Mountain Lion support with 4.8.2?  Just works?
>
>Hopefully it "just works", but I won't know until I get access to 10.8
>or Qt publishes something (which they might have already, and I just
>haven't seen it).  I've read nothing online about Qt and 10.8, but then
>I haven't been actively looking either.
>
>Hope this helps! - MLD

Thanks, Michael, that does help.  One of the to do's on my MythTV
port is to try to figure out a reasonable OS X minimum deployment
target.  If Qt didn't offer decent support for 10.5, there'd be no
reason to consider it.  Since it does, I should see what I can do.
Practically speaking, with 10.8 so close, the n-2 argument may be
compelling!

BTW, as another data point on build times, I've built qt4-mac +mysql
(and all dependencies) on both an older Core2Duo 1.83 GHz and a quad
core 2 GHz i7:  ~3.5 hours for the former and just less than 1 hour
for the latter.  That's pretty brutal about the universal build
doubling the time!!

Craig