[MacPorts] #34900: mythtv-core.25

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Mon Jun 18 10:19:02 PDT 2012

On Jun 18, 2012, at 05:13, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> At 9:42 PM -0700 6/17/12, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

>>> Yes, mythtv-core.25 -mysql_server still needs mysql5 client and qt4-mac +mysql.
>>>
>>> The mysql_server variant to mythtv-core.25 is for those people who want to install and run the MySQL database on the same machine, which is the most common case.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it a default.
>>
>> I don't think that the distinction is whether you want to run the MySQL database on the same machine.  That actually doesn't matter (or at least it dint' the last time I checked).  I think what you *want* to variant is if the port will install the mythtv backend...
>>

> Umm, no?  Myth is really set up to build and install _all_ its software (ie frontend and backend);

That's why you would have a variant.  Users who just want the frontend, don't want to build and install the backend.

> it is up to the user to decide how they want to use that machine.

Yeah, and if I don't want to use this machine as a backend, why do I need to waste my time building it ;)

>  Years ago, there may have been some attempt to produce backend-only or frontend-only configs.  The savings are miniscule and upstream strongly discourages* that kind of packaging, now.

Ok, the last time I used MythTV was maybe 7 years ago, so I'll just take your word for it.

> Logically, Myth is one database server, one or more backends (one master and n slave backends) and one or more frontends.  It is common to have those three functions all on one machine.  You're right though that other configs are OK.  Eg. Database server on one machine, master backend on another, slave backends (connected to a TV tuner) or job queue-only (no tuner) slave backends and a host of frontends.

Ok, well I still don't see why the mysql_server variant would be useful for.  It doesn't really matter at build time where the database server is, right?