[MacPorts] #34900: mythtv-core.25

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 18 23:37:37 PDT 2012

On Jun 19, 2012, at 01:31, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

>>> That's why you would have a variant.  Users who just want the frontend, don't want to build and install the backend.

>>> Yeah, and if I don't want to use this machine as a backend, why do I need to waste my time building it ;)
>>
>> Consider that the mysql55 port builds and installs the client and server even if the user only wants the client. the mysql55-server port only adds config files and directories set up with the right permissions.
>
> So in that model, the suggested mysql_server variant should really be a subport and not a variant.

Yes, that could work well. The reason why we abandoned having a +server variant of mysql5 was that users would install mysql5, either directly or as a dependency, and then later realize they wanted to run a server, and have to reinstall the whole thing with the +server variant, which would take time to build. Better to be able to just install an additional small subport to get the server setup. Also this way both the port and the subport can be built and have binaries provided by the buildbot. (The buildbot does not build non-default variants.)

You might ask why don't we always build mysql5 with server support enabled. Why is it even an option? I believe there were concerns that users with non-root MacPorts installations would encounter errors when trying to chown the directories, and also when trying to install the launchd plist into its required location.