perl5 .packlist files

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Jun 20 06:23:22 PDT 2012

On Jun 17, 2012, at 5:38 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Does anybody know what purpose the .packlist files in p5 modules serve?

ExtUtils::Installed uses them.

They're probably not super-useful when you've got MacPorts that can also tell you what is installed - but I wouldn't be surprised if there is stuff out there that depends on them being there.

> We have block in the perl5 portgroup and in several individual ports copied from there which fixes the .packlist files by removing the destroot path from them, but do we even need the files at all? The archlinux perl packaging guidelines, for example, say .packlist files should be deleted, along with perllocal.pod files.

IIRC debian doesn't install them either.

Are they causing a problem for us?

--
Daniel J. Luke