Help trying to get gcc47 to run on ppc32/Tiger.

Daryle Walker darylew at mac.com
Thu Jun 28 20:11:45 PDT 2012

On Jun 24, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2012, at 3:03 PM, Daryle Walker <darylew at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I just wanted to update my ports, and I ended up losing both of my
>> C++0x/11 compilers.  I have the least-supported system, a 32-bit
>> PowerPC Mac running Mac OS x 10.4.11.
>>
>> I lost gcc46, but I fixed it by following a comment.  I haven't
>> been so lucky with gcc47, and looking at ticket 34385, hope has
>> been all but given up.  On my last attempt at a fix, it seems that
>> either I messed up copying the patch from the gcc45 attempts, or
>> the affected file is different between gcc45 and gcc47.  It
>> doesn't help that I don't know what's wrong in the first place,
>> nor whose end (MacPorts or GNU) does the problem lay.
>>
>> Any help on what's wrong with the patch?  (Then I can try compiling.)
>
> If I recall, the patch is actually applied already to gcc's
> libffi.  You need to check yourself to figure out what's going wrong.

I'm trying to figure stuff out; that's why I'm asking for help here.
I'm just a port user, and now I'm suddenly have to be a port maintainer.

There is a MacPort for libffi, but the GCC port doesn't reference it,
right?  GCC uses a copy of libffi in its own sources, right?  When a
port has to be built from source, a copy of that source will be on my
disk, right?  How/where can I check if it's still around?

> You'll probably get more support on this configuration from GCC
> developers directly.  I suggest you file a bug report at http://
> gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla

Right now, I don't know what to tell them.  How different is the
MacPorts' version of the source from the official version; they might
not want to debug something too modified?

>> (At least we should require (Apple's?) CLang to compile GCC-4.6
>> when it's available, and Apple's GCC 4.2 otherwise.  Never use the
>> LLVM-GCC 4.2, and install Apple GCC 4.2 when the computer doesn't
>> come with it.  I also wrote in GCC 4.7 to use Apple's GCC 4.2 for
>> compilation.)
>
> That should have nothing to do with it.
>
>> (In the worst case, since we did have earlier versions of GCC 4.7
>> working on my computer, is there any way I can get that old
>> version back?)
>
> I'd be interested to know how you got that old version to compile,
> given this bug.  What changed to cause it to fail?  My suspicion is
> that you have a newer cctools installed from MacPorts which is
> noticing this bug whereas older cctools let it slip through to
> become a runtime issue.

I don't know what change happened.  Here's some quick run results:

//=====
[daryle]$ port installed gcc47
   gcc47 @4.7.0_2 (active)
[daryle]$ g++-mp-4.7 --version
g++-mp-4.7 (GCC) 4.7.0
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
is NO
PURPOSE.

[daryle]$ g++-mp-4.7 hello.cpp
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libppl.9.dylib
   Referenced from: /opt/local/libexec/gcc/ppc-apple-darwin8/4.7.0/
cc1plus
   Reason: image not found
g++-mp-4.7: internal compiler error: Trace/BPT trap (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
[daryle]$
//=====

My current version is based on previous efforts with the maintainers
to make gcc47 work with PowerPC systems.  Any updates have failed,
but something else successfully changed to make LibPPL missing.  I
think that library is part of LibFFI; but I couldn't update LibPPL.
(MacPorts kept wanting to fix gcc47 first.)  Could I somehow force
LibPPL to be installed, without doing a gcc47 check?  Would that
help, since gcc47 seems to use a private LibFFI anyway?

(BTW, the maintainers "fixed" the problem by killing PowerPC builds.
I have to hack the Portfile to do any testing.)

Daryle