New source install problem with certs

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Mar 6 02:05:10 PST 2012

On 03/06/2012 06:29 AM, Frank Schima wrote:
> As a follow-up, my workaround was to manually build portindex and
> install the subversion (1.7) port. Then I recursively changed the
> permissions of the /opt directory to be owned by me with read/write
> by everyone.

You actually changed the permissions of /opt to be writable by everyone?
You mean the working copy only, right? :-)

During a selfupdate/sync operation, the svn update is executed as the
user owning the directory. So you don't need to give everyone write
permissions on the working copy, it is enough to make it world-readable
(or at least readable for the macports user).

The relevant code is here:
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/src/macports1.0/macports.tcl?rev=90464&marks=2195-2201#L2185

However, if you are using a restrictive umask, permissions for new files
might be wrong. You can set up ACLs to set different default permissions
for new files in a specific directory, in this case the working copy.
For svn 1.7, make sure you include the top-level .svn in this ACLs, not
only the dports/ subdirectory.

I keep the working copy in my home directory. I have set up ACLs in
order to allow the macports user (or actually anyone else) to read all
the files in the directory:

 chmod -R +a "group:everyone allow \
                read readattr list search \
                file_inherit directory_inherit" ~/src/macports/trunk

(Disclaimer: I am not sure if this is the exact command or if I had to
set this for files/directories separately; I did not try it again).

Rainer