Xcode: xcrun, xcodebuild, xcode-select

Art McGee amcgee at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 02:30:46 PST 2012

Greetings,

I was just browsing the archive of the irc discussion where you
discovered that the reason some people had an xcode-select 2003
version instead of the latest 2307, was because they installed Xcode
4.2.1 *after* having updated to 10.7.3 (and you reference that at
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist). It appears that
xcode-select is installed as part of the main OS X system update now,
whereas before, it was installed by the Xcode installer.

I just wanted to mention two things:

(1) I went digging around in the package for the 10.7.3 Combo Update,
and it looks like, in addition to xcode-select, xcrun and xcodebuild
are also now installed via the main system update, and none of them
are contained in the commandline tools install.

(2) Instead of having to re-install the entire combo update, I was
able to replace all three using the package utility called Pacifist:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/6812/pacifist

Of course, the advice about re-installing the combo update is better
for the general public.

Art McGee

P.S. While I have your attention, could someone update the MacPorts
entry on MacUpdate:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21309/macports