Python 2.4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 15 22:37:46 PDT 2012

On Mar 15, 2012, at 22:05, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> How long until we move off of python24? At this point, I'm thinking we can jump all the way up to python27 for the python2.x branch.
>
> Snow Leopard has python 2.6 natively and Lion has python 2.7 natively.

In what way are we still "on" python 2.4? Ports that use python should offer variants, and should default to 2.7. python modules should use the unified portgroup and offer versions for each compatible version of python; if there existed a py-foo port of that module before the conversion to the unified portgroup, and python 2.4 is still supported by that module, then the default version should be 2.4, otherwise it should be 2.7.

At a more basic level, yes, we do still offer a python 2.4 port and modules, and I'm not sure if we still need to. First step to removing python 2.4 would be to identify ports that depend exclusively or by default on python 2.4 and update them to newer python versions.