Python 2.4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 19 11:56:01 PDT 2012

On Mar 19, 2012, at 13:52, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> So if I've read this correctly
> * python24/python25 installs binaries without a suffix into the binary folder (which can collide?)

And each port is responsible for ensuring they don't collide.

> * while anything newer (26, 27, 31, 32) buries them into versioned frameworks

Right, 2.6+ put unsuffixed binaries in the deep framework directory, and then a suffixed symlink in ${prefix}/bin.

I think what Joshua is trying to say is that adding symlink support to 2.5 and earlier doesn't make sense. If you believe it does, could you provide a concrete example of a port, the files it installs, and the symlink you would like the portgroup to create (located where, pointing to where)?

But recall this thread was supposed to be about removing python 2.4 (and 2.5), not spending further time on them. :)