[MacPorts] howto/SyncingWithSVN modified

Ryan Stonecipher RMStonecipher at macports.org
Sat Mar 24 20:00:30 PDT 2012

> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:46:44 -0500
> From: Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
> To: Jeremy Lavergne <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org>
> Cc: MacPorts Development <macports-dev at lists.macosforge.org>
> Subject: Re: [MacPorts] howto/SyncingWithSVN modified
>
> Anywhere we list http URLs where https is available, just switch it to https; don't even mention that http is also available. That's what I've been doing in other cases.
>
> On Mar 14, 2012, at 07:41, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>
>> I think we want to default to having HTTPS listed. Is this the case elsewhere in the documentation?
>>
>> On Mar 14, 2012, at 8:36 , MacPorts wrote:
>>
>>> +The repository is also available via HTTPS, so you can also use
>>> +{{{
>>> +svn co https://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/ .
>>> +}}}
Is SSL necessary for end users syncing their local checkouts in a
read-only operation, for committers submitting revisions, or for both?
I could see benefits to ensuring commit operations are secure, but
have doubts about checkouts.
Encoding and decoding data burns CPU cycles and in turn watts; if the
data transferred in a checkout operation is neither private nor
sensitive, is the increased energy cost justified?
Ryan Stonecipher