[90899] trunk/dports/multimedia/ffmpeg-devel

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 26 01:14:51 PDT 2012

On Mar 26, 2012, at 02:34, Andrea D'Amore wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 09:26, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> llvm-gcc-4.2 is the default compiler on Xcode 4.0 and 4.1. ffmpeg apparently cannot be compiled with it.
>> Therefore the port used to drop back to gcc-4.2. Jeremy changed this to prefer clang, which is generally
>> the preferred compiler to use on Xcode 4+ these days.
>
> I digged into this because ffmpeg-devel (specifically its lavf
> encoder) built with clang has issues remuxing aac files, while
> building with apple-gcc-4.2 makes the encoding go through.
> I noticed this when my convert script stopped working, switching back
> to fmpeg-devel @20111104_2 fixed the issue. Now I'm running latest
> port built configure.compiler=apple-gcc-4.2 and it works fine as well.
> This is reproducible.

Ok, then you could change this back in the portfile, and this time add a comment explaining why it's there. Also report the problem to the developers of ffmpeg so they can fix it. Jeremy seems to be on a hunt for ports that think they can't use clang, and trying to fix them to use clang.

>> No; the ticket says the user is on Snow Leopard, and the log attached there shows the compiler being used is gcc-4.2.
>
> I didn't read thoroughly, was thinking about maximum Xcode version on
> SL (not sure what it is) and some issue with clang on 4.1 .

The newest free version of Xcode for Snow Leopard is 3.2.6.

The newest paid version of Xcode for Snow Leopard is 4.2 (maybe 4.2.1?).