[91179] trunk/dports/sysutils/yum/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 26 16:16:51 PDT 2012

On Mar 26, 2012, at 14:49, Anders F Björklund wrote:

>>> Don't all the various versioned rpmxy ports also provide a librpm.dylib?  I think they do which means they should all conflict with one another (they don't seem to right now)
>>
>> If that's so, what's the purpose of offering the separate ports at all?
>
> The files already conflict, so there was no need to make the ports do too.

If I understand your statement correctly, then that's exactly why you should add the conflicts keyword. The only purpose of the conflicts keyword is to indicate that ports install the same files and therefore cannot be active at the same time. The presence of the conflicts keyword allows MacPorts to check for this earlier, before files have been downloaded and/or compiled, and provide a nice error message to the user.