[91258] trunk/dports/net/wireshark/Portfile

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Tue Mar 27 16:13:01 PDT 2012

> (2) Could you elaborate on why you consider a note (with an explicit
> warning) explaining what some distributions (e.g. Debian, Ubuntu, Arch
> Linux) provide semi-automatized dangerous?
> IMHO, if this note prevents any uninformed user from running wireshark
> as root it has done more good than evil and also provides a better user
> experience for people installing the wireshark port.

I'd say never ever ever ever recommend setuid.

It makes it so an admin account is no longer needed to root the machine, any user can gain root if they take advantage of the setuid program (crash, via normal operation, etc).

That being said, the concept of adding a note is innocuous but maintainers get cranky if they don't want people touching their Portfile--even for something as simple as whitespace.