Potential disruption to MacPorts domain registration

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Thu Mar 29 21:03:10 PDT 2012

Sam,

On Mar 29, 2012, at 8:24 PM, Sam Kuper wrote:

> On 29 March 2012 20:11, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> On Mar 29, 2012, at 14:04, Jan Stary wrote:
>>> What exactly is the
>>> relation of macports to Apple as a corporation?
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/MacPortsHistory
>
> This is helpful but not very detailed. It doesn't clearly explain how
> much involvement, if any, Apple has had since this email was sent[1],
> in which is was written that, 'James Berry, a member of the
> DarwinPorts steering committee says: "We are pleased that by offering
> us hosting and administrative support services, Apple continues to
> demonstrate its strong commitment to the open source community. That
> support is vital to our project."

Apple continues to be a big help with many of MacPorts costs through providing hosting, internet access, machine administration, etc, through MacOSForge. A number of Apple employees maintain ports and contribute to the project.

We have spoken to some folks at Apple about this issue, they are aware of the potential infrastructure needs this might bring up, and I'm sure they will help help out there as needed. I don't think I'll go into potential legal avenues at this time...

James