make install DESTIR=... vs. prefix=... (gnuplot)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 1 01:18:43 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 20:27, Dan Ports wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 07:52:20PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>     make install prefix=/path/to/that/weird/macports/destroot
>> (which is what macports does for gnuplot) is the wrong way of
>> installing and that one should use
>>     make install DESTDIR=/path/to/that/weird/macports/destroot
>
> Yeah, this sounds right. make install DESTDIR= is what we usually
> use in the destroot phase.
>
> I'm not sure why the gnuplot port overrides that, but I see that line
> has been in the portfile forever (8 years) so it's quite possible that
> it was important in some ancient version of gnuplot that didn't support
> DESTDIR.
>
> If just removing the destroot.destdir line works, then great, we should
> do that.

Thank you for both explanation and the pointer. I didn't even realize
until now that gnuplot port was explicitly overriding Macports'
default behaviour. I only concentrated on the gnuplot compilation and
makefiles.

I will do some more testing after removing that line, but there are
also a few other changes needed before closing your ticke anyway (I'll
write more about it into the ticket).

Mojca