[90903] trunk/dports/databases

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Thu May 3 11:34:44 PDT 2012

On May 3, 2012, at 12:44 AM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> Can one of you please fix the mysql conflicts?  It's confusing enough with mysql5 and mysql51 installing the exact same version and mysql5-devel being older than mysql55.  We should at least make sure the conflicts are listed correctly.
>
> $ grep ^conflict {mysql,maria,percona}*/Portfile
> mysql4/Portfile:conflicts               mysql5 mysql5-devel mariadb percona

mysql4: is going away.

> mysql5-devel/Portfile:conflicts               mysql5 mysql4 mariadb

mysql5-devel: should probably be replaced_by mysql55 for now.

> mysql5/Portfile:conflicts               mysql5-devel mysql55 mysql4 mariadb

mysql5: will be replaced_by mysql51 when the dependencies have been dealt with.

> mysql51/Portfile:conflicts           mysql5

mysql51: no longer conflicts.
https://trac.macports.org/changeset/92672

> mariadb/Portfile:conflicts               mysql5-devel mysql5 mysql4

mariadb: I have updated to version 5.5.23 and no longer installs the conflicting bin/.*5 symlinks.
I am not the maintainer of mariadb nor is it openmaintainer and a discussion with the maintainer has been ongoing.
I do not recall where we are here I'll have to check.

> percona/Portfile:conflicts               mysql4 mysql5 mysql5-devel mariad

percona: same as mariadb but is openmaintainer

> Shouldn't the conflict more correctly be between mysql_select and {mysql{4,5{,-devel}},mariadb,perconadb}

mysql{4,5{,-devel}}: These are going away
mariadb,perconadb: These will no longer conflict

> Additionally, it would be nice if you could comment in the obsolete ports that they are obsolete and will be removed (when?).

mysql4: Consensus is to obsolete
mysql5: will be replace_by mysql51 and should close to seamless. etc/mysql{5,51} and var/db/mysql{5.51} are two issues to consider. Ideas welcome.

> Are perconadb and mariadb going to be mysql_select-ified?

Yes.

> All of this churn in the MySQL ports is quite confusing...

To finish implementing the above the mysql5 dependent ports at minimum need to be updated to mysql51 and preferably have variants or subports for the mysql51, mysql55, mariadb and percona ports.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)