binary packages and Portfile changes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon May 7 08:53:36 PDT 2012

On May 7, 2012, at 10:30, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> In the past if a Portfile edit changed installed files we increased either version or revision.

That advice still holds.

> With the advent of binary packages that place a copy of the Portfile in the package should all Portfile commits increase version or revision?

No need, usually. The only reason why there's a Portfile in the package is so that the port can define post-deactivate blocks. So if you're adding / removing / changing a port's post-deactivate block, then yes, that would be a reason to increase the revision to get the package rebuilt. But most ports don't have custom post-deactivate blocks.