Rebuild Xcode 4.1 lion packages (was: Re: Lion buildslave software updates)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu May 10 21:11:38 PDT 2012

On Apr 23, 2012, at 14:15, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2012, at 13:26, William Siegrist wrote:
>
>> Firewall changes are in place, Xcode is at 4.3.2, and Java is installed.
>
> Now: should we delete all Lion packages and rebuild them, to eliminate any problems people might have because ports were built with old Xcode?

These problems continue to happen, e.g.:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34401

I ask again: is there any reason why we shouldn't delete all Lion packages from packages.macports.org built before April 24, 2012 and have the buildbot rebuild them now with Xcode 4.3.2 and Java? This would help "most" users, who presumably have or can upgrade to Xcode 4.3. It's much easier to tell users that upgrading to Xcode 4.3 will fix their issues; it's much harder to have to explain to them that upgrading to Xcode 4.2+ is what caused the problems, and that they must now build some but not all packages from source to have them work correctly.

Do we perhaps even want to entertain the idea of making MacPorts require Xcode 4.2 and up (or even 4.3 and up) on Lion to avoid this compiler mismatch nightmare?

Another (possibly better) solution I proposed was to include the compiler name in the archive name so that if the default compiler name changes MacPorts could know to automatically rebuild/reinstall everything:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2012-April/018689.html

But that would require possibly non-trivial changes to MacPorts base that I don't think I know how to do.