Fetching tarball of a commit

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon May 14 02:40:39 PDT 2012

> > github.setup MythTV mythtv 9ccfac11f31d8d05d48092efcbec8015c68f6cc1
> > version 0.25-8

FWIW, that's what I have been using, too.

> That's one option I'm mentally considering. I don't think it breaks
stuff. I'd just want to rename variables in the github portgroup to make it
clear that it could be a version or a commit hash.

I think this is the best solution for now, especially because it doesn't
break the current behavior of the github port group.
I've always perceived this argument to github.setup as git commit-ish,
which coincidently could be recycled as version field in most cases (and
thus is a sane default for $version). After all the main job of this port
group is to ease *fetching*, not to simplify setting a version.

--
Clemens