[enhancement] proposal - make all ports independent of which version of Perl is installed or the major one

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Tue May 15 15:35:11 PDT 2012

Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On May 15, 2012, at 6:09 PM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>> ports can be made independent of which version of Perl is installed or
>> the major one by
>

> In my opinion, we would be better served by just choosing one version of perl (which would be 5.14 right now) as our 'perl', and possibly offering older versions as options (although I don't think it's really necessary).

That doesn't fix the problem with the hardcoding of p5.12 and perl5.12

We would still have to go through all ports and replace instances of
	p5.12    -> p5.14
	perl5.12 -> perl5.14

And what happens when we get to Perl6 ??? or Perl 5.16 , 5.18 ...

Replacing 5.12 with ${perl5.major} would ensure that people can
transition painlessly - more or less - when upgrading to a new version
of Perl.

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa