[enhancement] proposal - make all ports independent of which version of Perl is installed or the major one

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Thu May 17 15:30:43 PDT 2012

Eric Hall wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 09:20:31PM +0200, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>> Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>>>
>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>> + ports dependent on Perl 5.12
>>> +
>>> PsyncX                    @2.2.2     aqua
>>> xfwm4                     @4.6.2     xfce
>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>> number of ports dependent on Perl5.12 : 92
>>>

>> Does anybody want to give their thoughts on how we fix this for people
>> wanting to upgrade their version of Perl to 5.14 ???
>>
>> Of the affected, I can personally see several that in the future will
>> affect me as I go about learning & implementing new stuff ???
>>
>> I can of course -and will if no general solution is found- implement my
>> proposal locally in my patch-repo, but I'ld rather see a solution for
>> everybody instead of me just going my own way
>>

> 	I'd love help making (and testing) the change from to the perl5
> port to go from perl5.12 to perl5.14 (as the default).  I've gotten a
> bit done, but there's loads more to do.

1) We still need a policy decision as to whether is should be hardcoded
   as now -or- we'll use my proposal that I consider more fully
   developed regarding future releases of Perl
2) It's not that difficult to do on a mass basis :
   a loop over the ports affected & som 'sed'-ing ought to fix it.
   I've got the basic scripting done, so a few hours work from my side
   & everything ought to be ready for distribution

As to the scripting, it's basically a question of me sticthing 4 of my
scripts together for a solution to this problem - not matter wheter we
go with a hardcoded solution -or- my proposal.

:-)
--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa