[enhancement] proposal - make all ports independent of which version of Perl is installed or the major one

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu May 17 19:43:48 PDT 2012

On May 17, 2012, at 4:09 PM, Eric Hall wrote:
> 	Both +thread and +shared will impose a performance penalty as
> of perl5.12 (see this thread:
> http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2009/11/msg153361.html).
> I don't know if this is still true for perl5.14 or not (I didn't find
> anything doing a quick search).
> 	Can someone re-iterate the reasons for using +shared and/or +threads?

I think the most compelling reason (for our purposes) is to fix this problem:

- User installs perl5.x +threads +shared
- user installs some perl module
- user gets a binary package for perl5.x (no threads, no shared)
- user is sad (module isn't installed into @INC and probably doesn't work even if @INC is modified)

From my perspective, it seems that many (most?) people who deploy perl apps (and who may need specific versions of perl) tend to have their own builds (perlbrew, local:lib, something else). Our perl is for people who just want a working perl install and to satisfy dependencies - so it makes sense to me to just target one configuration of the 'current' perl.

Especially given the brokenness we've experienced over time trying to support multiple perls, I'm not sure the effort of continuing that is worth it.

Of course, I'm not the one doing the maintenance there, so if people are willing to put the effort into it, I'm fine with that too :)

--
Daniel J. Luke