Severe issue with gfortran (from gcc) with binary builds

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Fri May 18 04:20:22 PDT 2012

> The Lion buildbot was initially set up with Xcode 4.1 so the Lion packages were initially built with that. The buildbot has since then been updated to Xcode 4.3.2 but no new version/revision of gmp has been committed since then so the package has not been rebuilt on that.
>
> The gmp port contains this block:
>
> # llvm-gcc-4.2 fails make check
> if {${configure.compiler} == "llvm-gcc-4.2"} {
>    if {[vercmp $xcodeversion 4.1] >= 0} {
>        configure.compiler clang
>    } else {
>        configure.compiler gcc-4.2
>    }
> }
>
> Xcode 4.0 and 4.1 default to llvm-gcc-4.2, so this block means on Xcode 4.1 the compiler will be changed to clang, and on Xcode 4.0 the compiler will be changed to gcc-4.2.
>
> Note that the block used to read:
>
> # llvm-gcc-4.2 fails make check
> if {${configure.compiler} == "llvm-gcc-4.2"} {
>    configure.compiler clang
> }
>
> But this was changed in r81117 to fix #30294. The version of clang in Xcode 4.0 was too old to even compile the gmp code. Perhaps the version of clang in Xcode 4.1 is new enough to compile the code but not new enough to do so correctly.
>
> If anybody here has Xcode 4.1 installed, or can install Xcode 4.1, they should build gmp from source as is:
>
> sudo port -ns upgrade --force gmp

I only have XCode 4.2 and 4.3, but I can confirm that gmp is
definitely the problematic package, because if I have a clean install
with only binary packages required for gcc45 on MacOS 10.7, then
things don't work, but if I use the above command to force re-install
gmp from source, it works as expected.

Cheers,
Tom