[enhancement] proposal - make all ports independent of which version of Perl is installed or the major one

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Fri May 18 06:23:52 PDT 2012

Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
> On May 18, 2012, at 8:13 a.m., Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>
>> I really do think we need to find some kind of solution to this problem
>> with having Perl 5.12 hardcoded into 96 (the 92 my scipt finds in my
>> setup + the 4 I've personally converted) ports. Presently, it hinders
>> people in using any other version of Perl unless they are willing to do
>> what I've done : have a local repo with pathces with all of the troubles
>> that can lead to.
>

> You do know that you can have multiple versions of Perl installed, right? I have both perl5.12 (to satisfy git-core) and perl5.14 installed currently.

I do know that.

But any particular port that needs Perl has to be dependent on a
particular version of Perl5 & p5.xx modules.

To restate my case : At present, it's not possible -without going to
extraordinary messures- to switch any of those 96 ports from Perl 5.12
to Perl 5.14. So basically everyone is stuck on Perl 5.12 as the
situation is today due to the hardcoding of Perl 5.12 into those 96 ports.

So : do we as a group want to find a solution to this situation -or- are
we as a group collectively satisfied with the situation as it is today,
& we leave it up to people to find their own individual solutions to
this problem ???

And git-core seems to work perfectly with Perl 5.14 which is what I've
instructed it to use :-)

I can really not see any valid reason for me to have several versions of
Perl5 installed - unless there's something that breaks for a particular
port when switching from Perl 5.12 to Perl 5.14. & so far I've not seen
any such breakage.

I did find this :
http://perlhacks.com/2011/06/perl-versions/

:-)