Using python before it is selected?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 19 13:01:50 PDT 2012

On May 18, 2012, at 20:44, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> It would seem to me that MacPorts ought to 'select' the first version of python when it is installed, no?

No. The "port select" mechanism is for a user's convenience only. A port may not rely on the user having selected anything in particular, or anything at all. A port should build itself using exactly the programs it wants (i.e. ${prefix}/bin/python2.7) and not rely on e.g. "python" being anything in particular or even existing.