[enhancement] proposal - make all ports independent of which version of Perl is installed or the major one

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Wed May 23 13:02:04 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 09:07:58PM +0200, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2012-May/019336.html
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2012-May/019338.html
>
> It's now been almost a week with no activity in this thread
> and no resolution in sight as to what we do as a group.
>
> Presently, Perl 5.16.0 has just been released, and the maintainer of the
> main perl ports hasn't reacted at all in this thread.

	I have, though perhaps not in the way you'd like
(I'm rather short on cycles these days).

	Overall I think it's *far* better to be able to have
multiple versions of perl installed at once.  There are some
challenges to that, and I readily admit I don't have the time
to focus on them right now.

> I've done the preliminary work in bringing Perl 5.16 into MacPorts in
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34570
> Presently, I can't get my perl5.16 port to generate the sub-ports ... I
> simply don't know enough to see what's wrong with my approach, but my
> present assumption is that it's because I'm copying my modified
> _resources/port1.0/group/perl5-1.0.tcl file into place instead of
> getting it from a repo.
>
> Now, we do have 96 ports that have perl5.12 hardcoded into them.
> That means, that they are presently 2 (two) years behind schedule as I
> see it.
>
> If we don't come to a resolution as a group, I'll just implement my own
> solution and post my procedure here on the lists for other interested
> parties should they be interested.

	I don't see a problem with providing a variable that can be
set somewhere that will make bumping the perl revs easier.  It's
certainly been a pain while trying to test things for perl5.14 to
have to go in and edit port files to avoid installing perl5.12.

		-eric