[enhancement] proposal - make all ports independent of which version of Perl is installed or the major one

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed May 23 13:24:44 PDT 2012

On May 23, 2012, at 4:02 PM, Eric Hall wrote:
> 	Overall I think it's *far* better to be able to have
> multiple versions of perl installed at once.  There are some
> challenges to that, and I readily admit I don't have the time
> to focus on them right now.

which is precisely the reason why we should just focus on 'one good' version of perl (and associated perl modules) unless/until someone has time to make something better work.

We can fairly easily have ports for other perls (and just not provide p5 ports for them) for the (few) cases where someone needs to have a specific version of perl that isn't our default perl.

--
Daniel J. Luke