apache2 httpd 2.4.2

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Wed May 23 16:17:18 PDT 2012

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 23, 2012, at 16:39, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>
>> What is the argument for apache2 to continue violating mtree?
>
> The only one I can think of is that tons of other ports currently assume that's the layout. Thus changing the apache2 layout requires changing tons of ports in unison.
>
> If we instead made a new apache24 port we would be free to give it any layout we wanted, and then over time adapt all the other ports to depend on apache24 instead of apache2. It would still be an unpleasant time for users of those ports until all of them are converted and apache2 is deprecated.

We could also do another thing :

1) keep the layout as it is now and upgrade completely to 2.4.x as was
posited by you -Ryan- in a previous post.

2) work on a longterm project where we gradually find every port that
assumes the current layout and convert them

3) after testing (2) make a _BIG_ _BANG_ upgrading from the present
layout to a layout that doesn't violate mtree

I find it of more value to get 2.4.x into the tree than to wait any
longer for a new layour which we don't have any time frame for. We are
already a couple of months late in releasing 2.4.x to the public.

:-)
--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa