[MacPorts] #34570: perl5.16 - new port

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Wed May 23 18:25:31 PDT 2012

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 22, 2012, at 15:12, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Did you rerun "portindex" from the top of your ports tree after doing that?
>>
>> wasn't aware of that command, but ...
>>
>> pro17:MacPorts root# portindex
>> /macports/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports
>> Creating port index in
>> /macports/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports
>> Adding port databases/mysql51
>> Adding subport mysql51-server
>> Adding port www/mod_perl2
>> Adding port www/mod_security2
>>
>> Total number of ports parsed:	28
>> Ports successfully parsed:	28
>> Ports failed:			0
>> Up-to-date ports skipped:	14189
>>
>> That just adds the ports I have in my local repo without adding the
>> p5.16 sub-ports
>
> And you're sure the perl5-1.0.tcl file you're modifying is the one in the directory /macports/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports/_resources/port1.0/groups?
>
> If so, then maybe portindex does some kind of mtime checking and only indexes Portfiles newer than the PortIndex files. In that case, try deleting PortIndex and PortIndex.quick before running portindex. If that solves it, then I guess we'll have to manually intervene on the servers too when we do this update
> It seems weird to me that a change in the portgroup should be allowed to create new subports in ports that have not themselves been modified to indicate that that's ok. It seems to me that instead each p5 port should be specifying which perl versions it's compatible with. Thus, when a new version of perl is released, each p5 port would be modified to indicate its compatibility with that new version, thus getting that port's new p5.16 subport into the index at that time. That's at least the approach I'm taking in the new unified php ports.

OK ... It's working now :-D

I had to do the following to get it to work

1) modify the perl5-1.0.tcl by overwriting it with a modified copy
2) copy the whole perl5.16 port from my private repo
3) delete the two PortIndex* files
4) portindex

Doing each of (1) to (3) alone wasn't enough ... _all_ three steps has
to be taken ... and I think I've tried all eight combinations ;-) incl
forgetting to do (1) because a /port sync/ had restored the default.

So ... portindex is  -as a minimum- _unable_ to combine a private repo
with the official repo in a case like this.

bash-4.2$ port list name:^p5.16
p5.16-acme-lolcat              @0.0.5          perl/p5-acme-lolcat
p5.16-algorithm-annotate       @0.100.0        perl/p5-algorithm-annotate
p5.16-algorithm-c3             @0.80.0         perl/p5-algorithm-c3
p5.16-yaml-syck                @1.170.0        perl/p5-yaml-syck
p5.16-yaml-tiny                @1.510.0        perl/p5-yaml-tiny
p5.16-zeromq                   @0.180.0        perl/p5-zeromq

Now for some fun and games trying to update my whole system from Perl
5.14 to Perl 5.16 :-D

:-)
--
Bjarne D Mathiesen