[enhancement] proposal - make all ports independent of which version of Perl is installed or the major one

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Thu May 24 09:17:30 PDT 2012

On May 24, 2012, at 8:53 AM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

> Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Bjarne.
>>
>> Bjarne, if you were to follow this simple setup you could produce the preferred diff files (svn diff perl > patch-perl-deps-to-perl-5.14.diff) that will allow the widest audience to view, critique and act on your work.
>
> My script already produces diff files ?!?

Right, but MacPorts contributors have to read your script, setup an environment for your script to work, run your script and then most likely diff it themselves to see what changed.
It is likely that few of the developers interested in this subject have the time to work through these steps. That is why the patch guidelines exist :)

> I've attached some as examples
> Do you want the diif files to look different ???

No, not at all. Your diff files are fine (diff -u).

The most knowledgable MacPorts contributors (not me) are often the most over loaded contributors, go figure:) You have a better chance of getting the talented eyes to scan your work if they can simply look over a minimal diff with only pertinent (no whitespace) changes.

With regard to this mass perl dep edit project, a single multi-file diff might work well.

I will try to make time later today to create this diff if you have not already done so.

Thank you for your continued contributions.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)