[enhancement] proposal - make all ports independent of which version of Perl is installed or the major one

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Thu May 24 14:28:57 PDT 2012

On May 24, 2012, at 1:24 PM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

> Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

>>> My script already produces diff files ?!?
>>
>> Right, but MacPorts contributors have to read your script, setup an environment for your script to work, run your script and then most likely diff it themselves to see what changed.
>> It is likely that few of the developers interested in this subject have the time to work through these steps. That is why the patch guidelines exist :)
>
> It didn't seem as if we could get anywhere here on the list as to
> whether we should go the ${perl5.major} road -or- the hardcoded way.
> To mee it seemed as if we were completely stuck without any progress in
> the near future ; and I really needed at solution for myself now due to
> my own idea regarding migrating to Perl 5.16
>
> And then there are all the side-discussion without that much
> relationship to my original proposal ;-)
>
> So, I made the script for several reasons:
> 1) in order to implement my own idea for my own sake
>   because that's what seemed to suit me best
> 2) for others to be able to replicate my work
>   should they wish to
> 3) to put some further pressure on the group ;-)
>
> I'm perfectly happy with presenting my results in any which way you want
> it :-)

Working in a svn tree is definitely the easiest way for you to collaborate with your fellow MacPorts contributers.

If you were to run your script in a svn checkout of trunk/dports you would be able to provide the desired diff with "cd dports && svn diff > patch-perl5.16.diff".

If you add the file:///trunk/dports tree to sources.conf you can hack and build to suit your own needs and "port sync" or "cd dports && svn up" will pull in changes leaving you to decide how to handle conflicts.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)