Problems with cpp (in wxWidgets-devel)

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue May 29 03:24:44 PDT 2012

On 2012-5-29 19:57 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> if I try to build wxWidgets with a patch that enables building with
> clang. But if I try to build +universal, it seems that I hit the
> problem of "looks like it's using parts of QuickDraw that are gone in
> Lion", so I need to build with SDK for 10.6.

But wxWidgets doesn't have a universal variant?

> But then it fails with an equivalent of
>     > touch a.c
>     > cpp -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk a.c
>     i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2: c: No such file or directory
> (replacing with /Applications/Xcode.app/.../MacOSX10.6.sdk doesn't
> solve anything; a.c has some contents, but it doesn't make any
> difference to cpp either)
>
> My question is: does that work for others? I had Xcode 4.2 installed
> and installed 4.3 on top. Is only my system that is messed up or is
> there something else that I'm missing? The file /usr/bin/cpp is a
> shell script.

Looks like /usr/bin/cpp doesn't understand options that take an argument
that's separated by a space. You're not really meant to use it anyway;
as the comments say, it's just there for compatibility with really old
stuff and is deprecated.

You can always achieve the same thing with "$CC -E" (as the cpp script
itself demonstrates), it just needs to be invoked a little differently.

- Josh